How to write your own company’s vision & mission statements
A clear vision will help you concisely communicate your overall goals and will serve as a tool for motivation and strategic decision-making within your team and organisation. It’s the basis for helping your staff be effective ambassadors in the larger community. An inspiring mission helps communicate the impact of your efforts and drives action within your team and community. A strong brand creates an identity for your platform and helps wrap your vision and mission into a tangible thing people can experience, talk about, and love.
Focus your vision
Vision statements are future-based and are meant to inspire and give direction to your team and culture rather than to donors. They are meant to synthesize your ambition while mobilizing your staff to be effective ambassadors for the long-term goals.
Determine who will play a role in crafting the vision. Host a workshop or conduct interviews with key stakeholders who represent a cross section of your organization/community and answer the following questions:
1. What are the core values of your organization/community?
2. What do you do now that aligns with these values? Where are you not aligned with these values?
3. What problems do you hope to solve/what do you hope to achieve in the next few years?
4. Who does your team serve and what do you want to do for them?
5. What will success look like if you accomplish all of these things?
Once you’ve collected all the answers, make a plan to communicate your vision statement and commit time and resources to realizing it.
Define your mission
A mission statement helps communicate what you are doing to the world. It’s used to communicate the purpose of your platform. It should answer what core values are guiding the platform, what opportunities or needs your platform addresses, and how they are addressed. It is meant for both external and internal use and should be used to inspire action from stakeholders, campaign creators, and donors alike.
Determine who will play a role in crafting the mission. Host a workshop or conduct interviews with key stakeholders who represent a cross section of your organization/community and answer the following questions:
1. What core values are guiding the platform?
2. Who is your target audience?
3. What are the opportunities or needs your platform addresses?
4. How are these opportunities and needs being addressed?
Once your mission statement is complete, it should be displayed with pride! Make it a central message on the homepage of your platform. Post it on the wall of your office. Print it on all materials and recite it to anyone interested in the platform.