What is service design?
What is service design and how it is it different to customer experience CX or user experience UX?
September 28, 2021
What is Service Design?
Here are a few definitions I like:
- An interdisciplinary approach - Marc Stickdorn
- Results in the design of systems and processes aimed at providing a holistic service to the user - Copenhagen Institute for Interaction Design 2008
- When you have two coffee shops right next to each other, and each sells the exact same coffee at the exact same price, service design is what makes you walk into one and not the other - 31Volts Service Design
What are the principles of Service Design?
They are inclusive and human centric:
- User-centred - experienced through the customers eyes
- Co-creative - all stakeholders included in the process
- Sequencing - visualised as a sequence of interrelated actions
- Evidencing - intangible services visualised in terms of physical artefacts
- Holistic - the entire environment of a service should be considered
How is Service Design different to Customer Experience (CX) and User Experience (UX)?
CX and UX services just the customer or user need while SD serves both customer and business needs
- Customer Experience (CX) design looks at specific moments of the service or specific products and creates a compelling experience around that
- User Experience (CX) design looks at interactions a user has with a service or product and looks to optimise the experience
- Service design looks at creating a great overall experience and looks to service both Customer need and Business Objective
What are the tools of Service Design?
There are many, I use some of these
- Research data
- Journey maps & service blueprints
- System maps
- Service prototypes
- Business model canvas
Where can I learn more about Service Design?
Here are two books I use often:
You might also find these interesting
Thursday, June 24, 2021
Gather insights into what drives your customers to buy from you
Thursday, July 15, 2021
What people think they should do to gain followers on Instagram
What you should really do to gain followers on Instagram
Friday, July 16, 2021
Creating content that reflects the diverse communities
It means that we are elevating diverse voices and role models, decreasing cultural bias, and leading positive social change through thoughtful and respectful content.